Friday, August 17, 2018

"Mummy Mummy, chase us chase us!"
That call to action will be familiar with parents the world over, sometimes its met with energy and gusto, sometimes its met with an inward groan and a struggle to overcome the inertia of your adult brain. But whatever your state of mind when the cry goes up you know that inevitable, inexorably, you WILL chase your children whether you want to or not. because, lets face it, their just stronger willed than we are.

"All right!" I roar, "But you know its not Mummy chasing you don't you? its the
TICKLE-REX....RAHHHHHHH!!"

And I'm off! Galloping after my two screaming children, dodging and weaving, running just fast enough to look like I'm trying and just slow enough so I don't catch them too quickly
"I'm gonna GET YOU and then I'm gonna TICKLE YOU....RAHHHHH!"
"No Mummy please Mummy noooo!" they scream joyously running in a shambolic scramble looking over their shoulders and bumping into each other. They too are timing their speed to perfection, darting within range and then zipping away again, they fancy themselves masters of manoeuvrability, nimble footed ninjas of Tickle-Rex evasion.

"RUN!" Yells Joy Monkey number one, he's 4 and his insatiable desire to be constantly chased has improved my cardio fitness no end. Seriously all this tortuous slow motion running and squatting to pick up Joy Monkey two has given me thighs of steel!
"Shes gonna get yooooou!" Yells #1 again, Joy Monkey two is 20 months old and doesn't really understand the game but is so delirious with joy (his default setting) at all the wild running and tickling that it really doesn't matter that hes supposed to be running away from me, he's madly dashing backwards and forwards laughing so hard he cant really see through his scrunched up eyes and keeps bumping into things and falling over, which just makes him laugh harder.

The game is reaching its inevitable conclusion, the Joy Monkeys are edging closer in a delicious agony of anticipation squealing in a way that only a child on the verge of a good tickling can squeal
"MUMMMMMYYYYYY!!!" They shriek hiccupping hysterically
" I'm not Mummy, I'm the TICKLE-REX and I've GOT YOU!!! Tickle tickle tickle tickle tickle"
Game over for now, the game ends as it always does, me begging for a cup of tea and them begging to be chased just once more pleeeeease...

1 comment:

  1. This brings back great memories of playing with our kids

    ReplyDelete